"A stale article, if you dip it in a good, warm, sunny smile, will go off better than a fresh one that you've scowled upon." - N. Hawthorne

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Becoming a Tribe

As you may well know, my amazing boyfriend and I have recently gained full custody of his two girls.  What was three then became five.  I love my little tribe.  I have three babies who when one hates me, another loves me, when one ignores me, another gives me their undivided attention, when one will not clean, another will help.  At first, I was Scared. To. Death.  I admit, I am selfish at times.  I like to relax.  I have shows I love to watch.  My favorite thing to do is curl up next to my honey while he plays COD and read my Nook.  With one kiddo, it is easy to make time for yourself.  Three?  Not so much.

The first couple weeks were trying.  Everyone wanted to buck the system.  Austyn missed all of his attention being a single child.  The girls had no idea what a rule or routine was.  Daddy just wanted to sit on the porch grilling, drinking his beer, and listening to music.  Mommy just wanted sleep...and quiet...lots of quiet!  A month and a half in, and we are finally starting to become a unit.  This makes me happy.  Austyn loves being a brother (its all he ever wanted), and helping out in the morning brushing his little sister's hair before school.  Jordan loves to be the oldest who gets more privileges just because she can.  And the baby, Emily, she just loves being doted on and taken care of by not only her sister, but now her brother, daddy, and me too.

I can't believe that me, person who wasn't even sure she wanted ONE child, now has three.  I must say, it is kind of a calling.  I am surprising myself minute by minute at how easily I've picked up the tasks of getting three children ready for school in the morning; making breakfasts, working all day, coming home to hours of homework, cooking, cleaning, and finally bedtime story time.  I've got my groove.  Loving that!  So, now, not so scared.  I know that the cards that have been dealt were meant to be my hand all along; I just didn't know it.  And as time goes by and kinks get worked out of the routine, it will be easy to find that "me" time that is actually not so selfish after all.  Because, if Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy!  And right now, my tribe has one happy lil coconut leader :)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of 3 kiddos! Sounds like things are going well for all of you. I'm so happy those 2 little girls are being well taken care of! Good luck to all of you and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it and keeping up with you on your blog! Love and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...as well as well can be going from night to day! I'm sure there will be a lot of different genres of blog posts made (sad, mad, happy, tired, LOL!), but I think this will be a great way to reflect on change! Love and miss you too, girlie. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete